Its that time of year that I seem to be ringing the wife to collect me mid-ride. Pinch flats, written off wheels, broken bits etc.  First issue I had was stripped threads on a skewer, which is bizarre... Didn't think it was worth the risk of riding home with a loose front wheel. 

I've been revisiting tubeless again.  Seems to be great for general riding, but I struggle to get a high enough pressure to stop pinch flats for the 3 peaks.  I'm not using a Stans ZTR 29er wheelset as this creates a wider tyre profile for added comfort, but it makes the tyres a sod to get on or off.  Getting them on I can cope with, and them being difficult to remove in a bonus if I need to ride on a flat rim for a while to get to a pit station during the race.  The downside of a tyre being wider, it than is also makes the profile lower which encourages pinch flats.  Food for thought.

I've also been up to Borough Hill again, which is my local training ground.  Its 6 miles from my house, so is nice and local.  The climb only has about 50m of altitude gain, over around a 200m length.  Its nice and steep so works the legs pretty hard.  I tend to do 10 or 15 reps at a time, with varying degrees of intensity... Today I simply walked.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bearfoot barbwire tightrope walking, drinking hot cobra blood and anchoring a 4 x 100m gazelle relay squad.

Are you running up that hill.....